For quite some time now, there have been talks about central bank digital currencies. One such venture seems to focus on creating a digital euro. Surprisingly, this concept has now received indirect support from Christine Lagarde.
Will the Digital Euro Enter the Next Stage?
- Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the Euro has performed surprisingly well in 2020, especially when compared to the Euro.
- Many governments and central banks see this pandemic as a good time to further explore central bank digital currencies.
- Until now, there was no real enthusiasm for a digital Euro, but the concept appears far from dead.
- ECB President Christine Lagarde appears to favor such a digital Euro, even though the concept still carries plenty of potential risks.
- During a speech for Germany’s Bundesbank’s conference, she argued how the EU needs to keep developing digital payment methods.
- Transitioning to digital payments has received an expected boost from the COVID-19 pandemic, as cash transactions are no longer accepted in most locations.
- At the same time, Lagarde confirms digital payments are currently dominated by a handful of large players, which isn’t ideal.
- Introducing a digital euro will allow for innovation, but associated risks need to be examined thoroughly.
- Over the coming weeks, the Eurosystem task force will share its findings on the viability of a digital Euro.
- Switching to a CBDC will pose challenges for central bank money and banknotes in general.
- Addressing those concerns will be crucial to determine the future success of this digital currency.
- For now, no official decisions regarding the CBDC have been made, but time is running out.
- Bank of France governor Francois Villeroy de Galhai stresses how Europe cannot lag behind on digital currency research.
- No details were provided on which infrastructure can be used for this CBDC.
Looking to advertise? We will gladly help spread the word about your project, company, or service. CryptoMode produces high quality content for cryptocurrency companies. We have provided brand exposure for dozens of companies to date, and you can be one of them. All of our clients appreciate our value/pricing ratio. Contact us if you have any questions: [email protected]